Director of Nurses (Registered Nurse)
Company: Mays Home Health
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Director of Nurses (Registered Nurse)
REPORTS TO: AREA CLINICAL SUPERVISOR
At Mays, we take pride in the quality service that we provide our
patients. If you have a passion for providing excellent care to
patients, we want you to be part of our work family. Whether your
field is nursing, therapy, personal care, administration, or
marketingat the end of the day, it is all about our patients that
we get the honor of serving.
Full-time benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance,
as well as supplemental insurance with life, paid time off, and
generous 401(k) matching.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS EDUCATION/TRAINING/EXPERIENCE
1. Must be currently licensed as an RN through the Board of Nursing
in the state of practice.
2. Must have at least an Associates Degree in Nursing.
3. Must have a minimum of one year nursing experience within the
last 36 months.
4. Prefer at least one year experience in home health. Must
understand the issues related to the delivery of home health
services and be able to problem solve effectively. Must possess
knowledge of the Medicare guidelines governing home health agencies
or have experience/abilities that indicate with training they would
5. Prefer management experience
1. Must be organized, detail oriented and possess effective
communication skills, both orally and in writing. The ability to
communicate with a diversity of individuals is required.
2. Must understand the issues related to the delivery of home
health care and be able to problem-solve effectively.
3. Must be capable of prioritizing and handling multiple tasks of
critical importance simultaneously.
4. Must function well in atmosphere of stress and interruption.
5. Must have good clinical judgment and observation skills
6. Must have a positive attitude and be self-directed.
7. Must be willing to comply with accepted professional standards
8. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling role
9. Must have satisfactory references from previous (or current)
employers, nursing school, and/or professional peers.
1. Must possess a valid state drivers license and adhere to all
state laws while driving.
2. Must possess automobile liability insurance.
3. Must have dependable transportation kept in good working
4. Must be able to drive an automobile in various types of
5. Must possess intermediate computer skills.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Nurses (DON) is a Registered Nurse supervises the
provision of therapeutic services provided from all disciplines and
is responsible for overall care and case management activities in
their assigned branch office(s). The DON directs all branch
operations and ensures that care/services, delivered by staff and
contract disciplines, meet the patients needs and are compliant
with Agency Policies, State and Federal Laws and Regulations. The
DON is expected to lead their branch office with excellence to
excel at quality care, quality documentation, growth, and financial
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1. Supervises staff and the day-to-day office/clinical/field
operations. Ensures daily tasks are completed even during staff
absences. Monitors daily workload and delegates responsibilities
2. Provides a positive work environment by consistently modeling in
a positive way, the agency philosophy, mission, values, and
standards of care, and providing a professional role model for
3. Reads and adheres to all Agency Policies and Procedures. Adheres
to all State and Federal laws and regulations.
4. Adheres to HIPAA regulations and follows agency protocol
maintaining confidentiality and does not improperly disclose
5. Makes staffing priority to assure adequate supply of qualified
staff. Coordinates with the Recruiting Department to inform them of
staffing needs, promptly reviews applications and interviews
applicants who meet requirements, and communicates to recruiting
the desire to hire qualified applicant.
6. Assesses and ensures initial competency of staff and assigns new
clinical employees to qualified preceptor from their office prior
to classroom training, and ensures all new employees view
e-learning presentations and attend classroom training as
7. Participates in orientating and terminating field and office
staff. Ensures HR is notified of employee change of status which
includes position change, termination, changes of address, etc. 8.
Follows up on HR deficiencies that have not been resolved.
9. Completes appraisal of direct subordinates according to agency
policies and procedures, assisting subordinates with professional
growth and development. Handles staff complaints and incidents in a
timely manner. Counsels staff appropriately and timely concerning
areas of deficiency. Consistently facilitates positive
interpersonal relations among staff and provides positive feedback
for excellent performance.
10. Provides monthly in-services and general staff meetings.
Attends meetings and additional educational seminars as required by
11. Works with the Director of Education in the planning,
implementation, and evaluation of in-service and continuing
education programs. Provides adequate opportunity for education and
assures that all staff meets training and in-service
12. Is diligent in activities that ensure advanced proficiency in
Homecare Homebase (HCHB) Electronic Health Record (EHR). Actively
seeks out training and continuing education in agency processes
including participation in offered classroom training, e-learning
courses, and training materials within the resource center in
13. Generates quarterly On-Call Visit Nurse schedule. Ensures
patients coming out of the hospital, evaluations, and routine
visits to be done after hours or on the weekend are scheduled on
staff from their branch office prior to the weekend.
14. Participates in Visit Nurse On-call rotation and assumes
on-call duties as assigned. Must be available 24 hours per day when
scheduled to be on-call. Must be reachable at all times and comply
with the On-Call Process.
15. Monitors reports and ensures staff is completing duties
accurately and timely as indicated within their job descriptions to
prevent any deficiencies in their branch office.
16. Ensures productivity standards are met by field staff. Reviews
and approves bi-weekly payroll transmittal. Runs reports as
indicated in the DON workflow under client related tasks and as
indicated in the Administrative tasks to monitor duration of
visits, number of units, approve on-call activity, etc.
17. Communicates as appropriate with staff, physicians, referral
sources, community, patients, potential patients, caregivers, and
others involved in care. Ensures excellent customer service is
being provided to all patients, physicians and other
18. Receives referrals with enthusiasm from physicians and staff.
Reviews available patient information related to case, including
disciplines required and anticipated home care needs, to determine
if patient needs can be met by your staff and/or contract
disciplines. Enters referral into the Electronic Health Record
(EHR) completing the sections indicated within
intake/authorizations, clearly identifying the referral source and
identifying team who will be managing patient care.
19. Follows up timely on pending referrals and all non-Medicare
referrals through the admissions and billing process.
20. Provides onsite supervision of Clinical Supervisors (CS) to
ensure they are completing workflow accurately and promptly. As
necessary, assists the CS and clinicians in establishing immediate,
short and long-term therapeutic goals, in setting priorities, and
in developing plan of care.
21. Ensures Physician Certification (F2F) is received or completes
the process of Delayed Physician Certification for Home Health
Services if the Certification was not received upon referral.
Review/edit/approve F2F Encounter Documentation to ensure Medicare
requirements for encounter documentation is met. Follow up on
unresolved F2F encounters when workflow is triggered as time
22. Approves/denies paid time off (PDO) requested by staff
notifying Area Clinical Supervisor if position cannot be covered
prior to approving PDO. Communicate time-off with the Patient
Services Coordinator (PSC) so they can appropriately schedule.
Ensures the PSC is scheduling geographically and meeting the needs
of the patient, staff, and agency assuring productivity
expectations are being met. Ensures PSC is scheduling utilizing
buddy codes as appropriate.
23. Assures appropriate documentation is completed for all patients
transferred to an inpatient facility. Assures hospital discharge
planner is aware patient is on our services and patient receives
daily contact from the CS.
24. Assures that the patients plan of care is executed as written
and reassessed by the appropriate health care professional upon
Start of Care (SOC)/Recert, when there is a significant health
status change (SCIC) in the patients condition, at the physicians
request, and Resumption of Care (ROC) after hospital discharge.
25. Participates in the Recert/DC decision to determine if the
patient has skilled need requiring ongoing home health services or
if all needs have been met and patient no longer meets criteria to
26. Enters Transfers, Death at Home, and Discharge at End of
Episode (EOE) as necessary and completes workflow as it appears
under client related tasks, coordination notes, and administrative
27. Edits/Locks OASIS once documentation is complete, it has been
reviewed by the CS, has been reviewed by the Coding Specialist and
updates have been made, and claim codes have been reviewed.
28. Reviews and evaluates patient care by reviewing the services
provided by the CS and clinicians. Performs review of clinical
records to promote more effective performance and delivery of
quality home care services. Assures service satisfaction through
patient visits, phone conversations, and other measures as
appropriate. Staff receives and enters patient complaints in the
EHR which triggers workflow to the DON to investigate and resolve
29. Completes tasks and workflow accurately and timely as they
escalate from the CS due to exceeding time limits or tasks that go
to both the DON and CS.
30. Performs chart reviews to ensure patients on services meet
criteria established by their payer source such as medical
necessity and homebound status and ensure documentation clearly
indicates the criteria are met. Ensures assessing clinicians and
ancillary staff provides exceptional patient care by utilizing all
elements of the nursing process and/or agency standards of care.
Ensures the level of care and services provided coincide with the
patients level of acuity and meet their needs. Ensure assessing
clinicians and ancillary staff is providing care within their scope
of practice and submits quality documentation authenticating
appropriate assessment and intervention provided to the
31. Ensures appropriate action is taken on any suspected abuse
and/or neglect cases.
32. Functions in the capacity of Clinical Supervisor, Field Nurse,
or Aide when necessary. Completes workflow in client related task,
coordination notes, and administrative task for staff who are
absent or need additional assistance with completing their
33. Coordinates with the Outcomes Supervisor to ensure proper care
and documentation when Potentially Avoidable Events are detected
and to ensure we are progressing towards improving outcomes
utilizing Process Quality Measures.
34. Ensure employees complete incident reports when incidents occur
as directed in agency policy and procedure and document all follow
up related to the incident. Reviews QI reports such as Infection
Control Logs to control the spread of infection from staff to
patients and documents follow up related to infections; Reviews
Occurrence Logs and documents follow-up related to the occurrence;
and Reviews Medication Error Logs documenting all follow up related
to the error. Counseling/termination may be necessary depending on
severity of incident.
35. Ensures staff is compliant with the monitoring of blood glucose
machines to ensure proper calibration.
36. Completes clinical related tasks such as entering non-admits,
voiding orders, etc as necessary. Runs reports to track Missed
Visits and Declined Visits and investigates to ensure patient meets
homebound criteria and ensure employee is being compliant with
making visits as scheduled.
37. Participates enthusiastically in short and long range planning
for the branch and implements specific measures for growth. Is
always aware of hospitalizations, discharges, census, and recent
38. Participates in public relations and community activities that
promote the agencys role as an effective member of the health care
delivery system. Participates during flu season making the
community aware of Influenza and preventative measures offering
vaccinations to provide protection to the public. Participates in
educating physicians and other community and referral sources.
39. Participates on the peer review committee presenting patient
case studies for review.
40. Coordinates closely with immediate supervisor to inform them of
any issues within your branch office, receive direction on unusual
circumstances, notify them of staffing requirements, include in
plans for growth and financial viability, report staff who are not
meeting performance expectations, discuss reports associated with
41. Coordinates closely with contract disciplines and therapy
companies to ensure their delivery of care meets all agency, state
and federal laws and regulations. Ensures the CS understands their
responsibilities with care oversight and is collaborating with
therapy. Ensures therapist are meeting care, timelines, and
documentation expectations and holding them accountable when
expectations are not being met. Seeks to contract with different
therapy companies or therapists when expectations cannot be met by
current contracted companies. Is responsible to ensure quality care
is being provided by all staff and contract
42. Responsible for complying with all Agency Policies and
Procedures, State and Federal Laws and Regulations. Disclaimer: The
above statements are intended to describe the general nature and
level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list
of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel
so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties
outside of their normal responsibilities and will be directed by
their Area Clinical Supervisor as the need arises.
1. General office.
2. Work is moderate with a combination of sitting, standing, and
3. Travel to other branch offices, designated facilities for
training/meetings, and/or patient homes.
4. Community and client home environment.
5. Potential exposure to blood and/or body fluids and infectious
disease during the performance of job duties.
6. Potential exposure to extreme temperature and humidity when
7. Potential exposure to dust, gas, fumes, and odors during
8. This position has been designated as clinical management (see
Infection/Exposure Control Plan). Employees performing clinical
management duties may be involved in potential exposure to blood
borne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials. All
clinical management employees will be offered Hepatitis B
vaccination at no expense to the employee.
1. Visual and manual dexterity is required
2. Good physical stamina and mental health is required. Has
completed the agency pre-employment health clearance.
3. Ability to perform tasks involving physical activity, which may
include heavy lifting and extensive bending and standing.
4. Ability to deal effectively with stress.
5. Ability to communicate effectively with staff, patients, family,
and physicians through speaking and hearing.
6. Ability to operate office equipment including, but not limited
to, computers, printers, copiers, etc.
CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
The Director of Nurses (DON) must meet the required continuing
education hours for state certification as a nurse in Texas as
applicable. Agency personnel are expected to participate in
appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or
required by their immediate supervisor. In addition, agency
personnel are expected to accept personal responsibility for other
educational activities to enhance job related skills and abilities.
All agency personnel must attend mandatory educational
Keywords: Mays Home Health, Lawton , Director of Nurses (Registered Nurse), Executive , Duncan, Oklahoma
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!